Wednesday, June 17, 2009

It Sometimes Happens In Steps!

By Rhonda Nichols, Mission Trip Coordinator

My passion for relief work started in high school with a trip to Hull, Illinois. At the time it seemed like a fun thing to do, and since I did most of the activities held by my youth group, I went along for the adventure of it. That trip led me to go the next year to California and then to Blue Creek, Ohio. Each trip blessed me as I blessed others. Little did I realize that each one was planting a seed in me that God would have blossom in my adult life.

After high school, I let life carry me away from relief work. Nursing school and then the start of my career led me to many excuses to not join in on trips. For awhile I also drifted in my faith and allowed the culture around me interfere with my relationship with God. It's amazing to see God continue to work in someone's life even when they are resistant to Him. I can see clearly the path God led me down to get me where He wanted me to be.

In 2007, I sat in church and heard the announcement for the second trip to Mississippi. When a couple of my good friends decided they were going to go, I let the desire that I had been trying so hard to resist run free. I took a step of faith that work would let me have vacation time for the trip and I signed up. That trip was amazing and reminded me that I LOVE relief work. I love knowing that God has used me to restore someone's hope and help them get back into a home.

The next year, as I prepared to go again I was asked to be a leader. I agreed somewhat reluctantly as I believed that my spiritual gift was not leading. God has been changing me though. You see from that first trip I almost didn't take to the next where I almost didn't lead, God was working on my heart. When Gustav hit soon after we left Mississippi in 2008, I knew that there was no waiting for someone else to form a trip. Pam Grosso was feeling the same way I did and together she and I took a team in January of this year. We did all the planning, preparing and leading, which before we didn't believe we could do on our own. With God we CAN do anything!

An exciting new time is happening with this ministry. The Mississippi effort ended in Pass Christian and so our trips there are over. However, the work God started in me and Pam will continue as we are branching to new sites to take Storehouse members for relief work. This October we will be going to New Orleans. Only God knows where He will send us next, but one thing is certain, I will be letting you know and probably trying to recruit you to go!!!!

No comments: