Thursday, June 4, 2009

Crazy Love

Posted by Chris Paredes, Associate Minister of Community Life

Last night in House Church we watched a video that challenged us to think about our homes not really being our homes and the silliness of our possessions. A difficult but good discussion. My Young Life leader used to say this about stuff, "in the end, it's all gonna burn."

Tonight, Sheri and I had just returned to her house after a relaxing dinner when I heard a siren in front of her house. Down the street, smoke was billowing out of the roof of the house on the corner. In minutes the roof and upper level of the house were in flames. Thankfully everyone made it out safely. Across the street stood a sobbing mother and two teenage sons as they watched their possessions burn. They were devastated. A crowd of friends, neighbors and family gathered and comforted them.

I can't say enough about the firefighters and police of King of Prussia and Bridgeport. They were amazing. Smoke had been coming out for maybe 30 seconds before they arrived. And they arrived in full force. They heard the alarm and there was an immediate response of obedience, it is expected, it is required.

How are you doing with responding when God is sounding an alarm? When He has told you a path you are on is the wrong one? How do you respond when He brings you someone in crisis? When you feel that nudge or conviction on Sunday, how good are you at making the change come Monday? I'd love to see some comments on this post so blog away...

2 comments:

Jamison Nesta said...

Follow through is most difficult when no one is checking up on you.

Lenders want paid back (a signed contract). Landlords want rent (a signed contract). Employers want your effort (you get the idea).

If we're serious about action, we must get serious about accountability. Real, tangible accountability.

If you are going to change, tell someone and give them permission to urge you forward.

Andy Hamilton said...

For me the Crazy love series has been a wake up call. Even thou I have only been a practicing christian for 10 months, I am on a different road than I've been prior. I have been a Real Estate agent for the past 20 years and all I thought about was commission. How much can I make from this Buyer or Seller? How can I convince these clients to buy the more expensive house so I can make more money from them? Geez I have shown these people 30 houses I wish they would just buy anything now because I need a sale this month(I don't really care what they buy.

If you have read my Blog comments on JR's Blog titled "FOLLOW ME" you will know where I'm coming from as far as what my personality was like from my past. After all isn't it "ALL ABOUT ME"? So I thought until God gave me a wake up call 10 months ago.

I love House Church, the group knows whats going on with you, they follow up with you, they encourage you, they comfort you, they cry with you, they share God's Crazy Love with you, they listen to my rants and raves, they put me in my place when I need it (Becca), it allows me to be humble, it allows me to cheat on my diet (cause Brenda & Becca make the best snacks for us) and most important of all it allows us to pray together.

The House Church is my close family and I love everyone there. I am pursuing a new career which will help those in need and so I can give back what has been given to me. Even thou the career I am pursuing pays less than a Realtors income, it's OK because the result on that special day will give me all the riches in Heaven. There is nothing in this material world that can match what the Lord has reserved for us.

Geez, I really ramble on these Blogs but this Crazy Love series has gotten me fired up (AWESOME)!!

Please, who ever reads this Blog share what's on your mind. Don't let this topic fade away.

Let's stop being "LUKEWARM" and turn up the heat, lets' sizzle!!

Andy