Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Battle is Real

By Josh MacDonald, Worship Leader

Ephesians 6:12 "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

Over the past couple of weeks, through a number of circumstances, I have become abundantly aware of the reality of the spiritual battle raging around me and those close to me. Often, I tend to relegate spiritual warfare to the fantastical and sensational place that the media puts it. Images of heads spinning, horned monsters and the sounds of creepy violin music, or make believe, in other words, are what I think of and then dismiss quickly most of the time. But, as we learned last year in the Supernatural series, our battles with illness, unfortunate circumstances, relationship issues and the like are far more than coincidence or bad luck. Paul says that we live in a "dark world". We, as God's people, are called to be His light. Our enemy wants nothing more than to extinguish our light, and he will use every weapon in his arsenal, every last one, to do so. I've been reminded this week to never let down my guard, and to know that I'm on the winning side. I should expect trouble in this life, but as we sing in My Glorious, my God will save the day, and all will say, "My Glorious."

No comments: