Thursday, July 23, 2009

Wedding Eve

Well it's 11pm on the eve of my wedding. Been a long time since I've posted anything to the Storehouse Blog, but I am sitting in my new house alone and I'm feeling very reflective so I've decided to share some thoughts with the blogosphere.

I got home from our rehearsal about 2 hours ago and as I'm reflecting on the last year or so, I'm realizing that engagement can easily be all consuming. It colors the way you think about everything, and you think about this one day, the wedding day, all the time. Every conversation, every website you visit, every thought as you go to bed, it's all wedding all the time. Why? Well because you want everything to look great, you want people to leave your wedding talking about how amazing you are, how much attention you paid to all the details, how fun it was, it's all about you and people celebrating you.

For the first time in about 6 months, I feel truly relaxed. Tonight for the first time in a long time, I slowed down enough to give God some real quality time. I read my Bible, I prayed, and really, I just sat in silence and listened.

I'd like to say I came up with some revolutionary principle or something profound but what I am hearing is something we should already know. God wants us to be completely preoccupied by Him! Similar to the way I was consumed by my engagement. He should be part of every thought, every decision, every conversation I have. I should pay attention to every detail of His Word. Why? For His glory! To bring Him praise! That that everyone might know what Jesus is doing in my life and how He has changed me, and how He saved me, and how He loves me, and how free and accessible all of that is to those that call on His name.

Turn to Him, rest in Him, and be consumed in Him, For His glory

2 comments:

JR Rushik said...

Thanks for the reminder to REST in Jesus. I'm certain your wedding day will be fantastic and your marriage even better... Looking forward to celebrating with you TONIGHT!

Anonymous said...

What a great post! Thanks for sharing your reflections. So awesome that God is at the center of your marriage - even before it starts.